Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Kenjalgad Perched Aquifer

I have been experimenting with shooting videos of geological features with an accompanying commentary. Here are two of my recent efforts.

Last month I visited Kenjalgad, a small fort near the town of Bhor. As is typical of forts of the Sahaydri ranges, it sits atop a thick basalt scarp. 

The videos explain the geological conditions for the formation of a perched aquifer. I hope I have been clear in my explanation. Sound on please! 

Kenjalgad aquifer. Location 1- Permanent Link


Kenjalgal aquifer. Location 2- Permanent Link

Kenjalgad as seen in this picture is quite an impressive mesa.


The aquifer I described in the video occurs within the topmost rock layers of the scarp forming basalt. They form discrete accumulations of groundwater high up on these ridges, separate from the aquifers underlying the surrounding valley.

I am planning on making more of these videos of various geologic features. Should they be a little longer, say two or three minutes each? I would appreciate some feedback from you.

2 comments:

  1. Nice explanation! A series of self-contained videos that each explains a geologic feature would be interesting. I would say up to 5min should be OK - depending on the content you would like to include.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. Yes, planning to make slightly longer videos next time.

      Delete